“Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.” (James 1:13-15 ESV)
1. God tempts no one and he himself cannot be tempted. He is holy (Hab. 1:13). He is not responsible. God is not the author of temptation (he neither infuses or enforces it) but he is the governor of it (Luke 22:31-32; Matt. 6:13).
2. We are tempted by our own desire – lured and enticed. We are the ones responsible. (Jer. 17:9; Gal. 5:17)
3. Desire leads to sin and sin leads to death (Rom. 6:23). We will suffer the consequences of giving in to temptation. What you sow, you reap (Gal. 6:7-8). Nip it in the bud, flee from lust (2 Tim. 2:22)! Just like Joseph fled from Potiphar’s wife.
1. Don’t blame God.
2. Watch and pray that you fall not into temptation (Matt. 26:41).
3. Guard your heart (Prov. 4:23).